Document Type : Research Paper
Associate Professor, Department of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, University of Semnan, Semnan, Iran
MSc of Motor Behavior, University of Semnan, Semnan, Iran
The aim of this study was to determine the psychometric properties and to normalize Persian version of the Self Talk Questionnaire. 384 male and female athletes in three skill levels and 10 sport fields (team and individual) were selected and completed the Persian version of the Self Talk Questionnaire. At first, face validity of this questionnaire was confirmed with translation-back translation method. For construct validity, internal constancy and temporal stability, confirmatory factor analysis, Cronbach alpha coefficient and intra-class correlation coefficient were used respectively. The results showed acceptable fit of the 11-item model of Self Talk Questionnaire; fit index (RMSEA, 0.07; CFI, 0.98 & TLI, 0.97), internal consistency (motivational, 0.70; cognitive, 0.70 & total, 0.73) and temporal stability (motivational, 0.89; cognitive, 0.92 & total, 0.89) showed good reliability and validity of the Persian version of this questionnaire. These findings indicated good validity and reliability for the Persian version of Self Talk Questionnaire. Therefore, the Persian version of Self Talk Questionnaire can be employed as a suitable tool to study and evaluate self talk of Iranian male and female athletes.
- Association AER, Association AP, Education NCoMi, Educational JCoSf, Testing P. Standards for educational and psychological testing: Amer Educational Research Assn; 1999.
- Bandura A. Self-efficacy mechanisms in human agency. American Psychologists, 37, 122-147. Technology. 1982;16.
- Browen M, Cudeck R. Alternative ways of assessing model fit in testing structural equation model. Newbury Park, CA: Sage; 1993.
- Brown T. Confirmatory factor analysis for applied research. Guilford. New York. 2006.
- Chroni S, Perkos S, Theodorakis Y. Function and preferences of motivational and instructional self-talk for adolescent basketball players. Athletic Insight. 2007;9(1):19-31.
- Eklund RC, Gould D, Jackson SA. Psychological foundations of Olympic wrestling excellence: Reconciling individual differences and nomothetic characterization. J Appl Sport Psychol. 1993;5(1):35-47.
- Eklund RC. A season-long investigation of competitive cognition in collegiate wrestlers. Res Q Exerc Sport. 1994;65(2):169-83.
- Gill, D. L. (2000). Psychological dynamics of sport and exercise: Human Kinetics.
- Gould D, Eklund RC, Jackson SA. 1988 US Olympic wrestling excellence: I. Mental preparation, precompetitive cognition, and affect. The sport psychologist. 1992.
- Gould D, Eklund RC, Jackson SA. 1988 US Olympic wrestling excellence: II. Thoughts and affect occurring during competition. The sport psychologist. 1992.
- Gould D, Hodge K, Peterson K, Giannini J. An exploratory examination of strategies used by elite coaches to enhance self-efficacy in athletes. J Sport Exerc Psychol. 1989.
- Hardy J, Gammage K, Hall C. A descriptive study of athlete self-talk. Sport Psychologist. 2001;15(3):306-18.
- Hardy L, Jones JG, Gould D. Understanding psychological preparation for sport: Theory and practice of elite performers: John Wiley & Sons Inc; 1996.
- Hatzigeorgiadis A, THEODORAKIS Y, Zourbanos N. Self-talk in the swimming pool: The effects of self-talk on thought content and performance on water-polo tasks. J Appl Sport Psychol. 2004;16(2):138-50.
- Hooman, H. A. (2005). Structural Equation Modeling with Lisrel Application: Tehran: Samt(in Persian(.
- Hu Lt, Bentler PM. Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Structural equation modeling: a multidisciplinary journal. 1999;6(1):1-55.
- Hughes M, Reilly T, Hughes M, Lees A. Physiological demands of training in elite badminton players. et al Science and Racket Sports, London. 1995:32-7.
- Kashani V, Shiri H, Manaseri H. Psychometric properties and normalization of persion version of mental toughness scale (MTS). Research on University sport. 2015;7:83-98.
- Kashani, V. Farokhi, A. Kazemnejad, A, Shaikh, M. (2015). Validity and reliability of the Persian version of sport mental toughness questionnaire (SMTQ). Motor Behaviure, 20(7), 15-26.
- Kelloway EK. Using LISREL for structural equation modeling: A researcher's guide: Sage; 1998.
- Kline P. Principles and practice of structural equation modelling. 2nd ed 2005.
- Landin D, Hebert EP. The influence of self-talk on the performance of skilled female tennis players. J Appl Sport Psychol. 1999;11(2):263-82.
- Mahoney C, Sharp N. 14 The physiological profile of elite junior squash players. Science and Racket Sports. 1995;16(1.3):76.
- Mahoney MJ, Avener M. Psychology of the elite athlete: An exploratory study. Cognit Ther Res. 1977;1(2):135-41.
- Meyers, Lawrence S., Glenn Gamst, and Anthony J. Guarino. Applied multivariate research: Design and interpretation. Sage, 2006.
- Nideffer RM, Sharpe RC. Attention control training. Handbook of research in sport psychology. 1993:542-56.
- Orlick T, Partington J. Mental links to excellence. The sport psychologist. 1988;2(2):105-30.
- Schinke R, Hanrahan SJ. Cultural sport psychology: Human Kinetics; 2009.
- Schutz RW, & Gessaroli, M.E. Use, misuse, and disuse of psychometrics in sport psychology research. In R.N. Singer, M. Murphy, and L.K. Tennant (Eds.). Handbook of research on sport psychology. 1993: 901-17.
- Stevens JP. Applied multivariate statistics for the social sciences: Routledge; 2012.
- Terry PC, Lane AM, Fogarty GJ. Construct validity of the Profile of Mood States—Adolescents for use with adults. Psychol Sport Exerc. 2003;4(2):125-39.
- Van Raalte JL, Brewer BW, Rivera PM, Petitpas AJ. The relationship between observable self-talk and competitive junior tennis players' match performances. J Sport Exerc Psychol. 1994.
- Weinberg R, Grove R, Jackson A. Strategies for building self-efficacy in tennis players: A comparative analysis of Australian and American coaches. Sport Psychologist. 1992:3-13.
- Zeidabadi R, Rezaie F, Motashareie E. Psychometric Properties and Normalization of Persian Version of Ottawa Mental Skills Assessment Tools (OMSAT-3). Sport Psychology Review. 2014;3(7):63-82.
- Zervas Y, Stavrou NA, Psychountaki M. Development and validation of the self-talk questionnaire (S-TQ) for sports. J Appl Sport Psychol. 2007;19(2):142-59.