Document Type : Research Paper
PhD Student of Motor Development, Faculty of Sport Sciences, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
Associate Professor, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
. Associate Professor, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Developmental coordination disorder (DCD) is a motor disorder which involves gross and fine motor skills and coordination. The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of a period of selected physical activity on improving gross motor skills in female children with developmental coordination disorder (DCD). In this semi-experimental study, the sample consisted of 30 students with DCD who were selected from 400 female children in second grade of elementary school in Shiraz city by a researcher-made questionnaire and the Movement Assessment Battery for Children (MABC). The subjects were divided randomly into control (n=15) and experimental (n=15) groups after the pretest using Ulrich test for gross motor skills version 2000 (TGMD2). The experimental group performed the selected motor program for 12 sessions (3 days a week, 45 minutes per day) while the control group had their normal daily activities. Then, a posttest was held for both groups. The analysis of variance 2´2 was used for data analysis (P≤0.05). The results showed that selected physical activity had a significant effect on improving gross motor skills in children with DCD (P=0.001). Therefore, it is suggested that selected physical activities should be available for teachers and should be performed in physical education courses at schools in order to improve gross motor skills and consequently improve developmental coordination disorder in children
- Norouzi K, Khalaji H, Sheikh M, h Akbari H. [The Effect of a Selected Motor Program on Manipulative Skills in 4-6-Year-Old Boys (In Persian)]. Journal of Development and Motor Learning. 2011;3(1):5-21
- Arnheim DD, Sinclair WA. The clumsy child a program of motor therapy, 2ne ed. Tehran, Rooshd; 1979
- Azad H. Asibshenasi ravani.4 th ed. Tehran, Bethat; 1997
- Hemmati, S. Amiri, N. ( 2008). "Comparison of motor skills in Children with developmental coordination disorder and normal peers". Iranian Rehabilitation Journal, Vol. 6, No.7 & 8.
- Anjoman ravanshenasi Amrica. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 2nd ed. Tehran, Azade; 1995
- Delshad M. The Rate of Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) Prevalence Among Femail Students of The Secend Grade Of Elementry School Located In The First Region Of Tehran [MA]. Tehran University; 2009.
- Salman Z, Sheikh M, Seyf M, Arab ameri E, Aghapour M. [The Effects of Perceptual Motor Training on Improving Motor Abilities of Elementary Children with Developmental Coordination Disorder in Tehran (In Persian)]. Journal of Development and Motor Learning. 2009;1(2):47-63
- Zarezade M. Determining Reliability And Validity Of Test Of Gross Motor Development (Ulrich, 2000) In 3-11 Aged Children Of Tehran City [PHD]. Tehran University; 2010.
- Missiuna C. Motor Skill Acquisition in Children With Developmental Disabilities. 1994; .30. 1268–1280
- Roshan S. The effects of a group exercises program on Primary school children age six to ten years Diagnosed with developmental coordination disorder(DCD). Thesis at the University of Stellenbosch 2009; pp:27-50
- Pauliina H, Krisi T. The gross motor skills in children with communication dissorder befor and after the training program. Department of Physical Education. 1998; 22:479–493
- Anuschka N. Neuromotor Task Training: physiotherapy for children with developmental coordination disorder. Dissertation University of Groningen. 2007
- Chia – Liang T. The effectiveness of exercise intervention on inhibitory control in children with developmental coordination disorder: Using a visuospatial attention paradigm as a model" Research in child: care, Health and development. 2009; 32(6)613-618
- Aparo L. Influence of Sport Stacking on hand-eye coordination in children aged 7-11. Thesis in European Master in Health and Physical Activity. 2009; pp: 5-38.
- Sugden D, Chambers M. Intervention in children with Developmental Coordination Disorder: The role of parents and teachers. .British Journal of Educational Psychology. 2010; 73: 545–56116.
- Dane C, Anita E. The role of visual functions in persisting Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) among 7-year-old children: A follow-up study. African Journal for Physical, Health Education, Recreation and Dance (AJPHERD). 2010; 16(2): 251-264.
- Green D, M.E. Chambers, D.A. Sugden. Does subtype of developmental coordination disorder count: Is there a differential effecton outcome following intervention? Human Movement Science. 2008; 27. 363–382
- Aggelos K. Estimation of physical abilities of children with developmental coordination disorder". Physical Education and Sport Science. 2006; Vol. 13, No. 2.
Kosari S, Keyhani F, Hemayat talab R, Arabameri E. [ Effect of a Selected Physical Activity Program on the Development of Motor Skills in Attention Deficit /Hyperactivity