Document Type : Research Paper
MSc, Department of Motor Behavior, Faculty of Sport Sciences, Hakim Sabzevari University, Sabzevar, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Motor Behavior, Faculty of Sport Sciences, Hakim Sabzevari University, Sabzevar, Iran
Retention is one of the important indicators for inference of learning motor skill. There are some disagreements on the retention measurement concept among experts and researchers of the motor learning area. Therefore, the aim of the present study was to analyze the qualitative content of retention measurement concept in motor skills in Persian scientific research articles between 2009 and 2019. The present study was developmental with a quality content analysis method. 143 articles of Persian scientific research journals were studied, which mentioned the concept of retention. Data were analyzed with Nvivo10 software. Results revealed that there were 47 subsidiary topics and 6 main topics for the retention measurement concept including measurement method of retention concept, number and duration of trials in retention test, number and duration of trials in the acquisition phase, number of warm-up decrement trials, task type and detraining length. Also, the results indicated that there was no agreement among experts about the measurement method of retention concept and its related issues. This topic not only can confuse researchers on how to measure the retention concept in motor behavior area, but also can limit the possibility of comparing different research results and thus makes it hard to decide on optimal practice solutions and methods. Therefore, it is necessary to make specific decisions in this regard by holding symposiums with the participation of experts in the field of motor behavior.
- Schmidt RA. Motor Learning & Performance: From Principles to Practice: Human Kinetics Books; 1991.
- Rahmaninia F. Foundations and Applications of Motor Learning. Tehran: bamdadketab; 2007 (In Persian).
- Magill RA. Motor Learning and Control: Concepts and Applications: McGraw-Hill; 2007.
- Rose DJ, Christina RW. A multilevel approach to the study of motor control and learning: Allyn and Bacon Boston; 1997.
- Schmidt RA, Lee TD. Motor Control and Learning: A Behavioral Emphasis: Human Kinetics; 200.5
- Ziaee A, Elahi A, Bakhshoodehniya I. Content analysis of Movement Sciences and Sport Journal articles of Kharazmi university. Communication Management in Sports Media. 2014;1(3):52-62.
- Krippendorff K. Content analysis: An introduction to its methodology: Sage publications; 2018.
- Stone PJ, Dunphy DC, Smith MS. The general inquirer: A computer approach to content analysis. 1966.
- Asgari B, Elahi A, Pursoltani zarandi H. Analysis of Sport Management Articles Published in Journal of Research on Sport Science. sport Management studies. 2014.(22)
- Sajjadi SN, Behnam M, Hashemi SZ, Bakhshandeh H, Ahmadi HR. The Evaluation of Scientific-Research Articles on Sports Management in Iranian Professional Journals. World Applied Sciences Journal. 2013; 11(8); 1761-6.
- Mondello MJ, Pedersen PM. A content analysis of the Journal of Sports Economics. Journal of Sports Economics. 2003;4(1):64-73.
- Smucker M, Grappendorf H. A content analysis of sport management faculty collaboration: Single versus multiple authorship. Sport Management and Related Topics Journal. 2008;4(2):47-57.
- Naemi Kia M, Gholami A, Helalizadeh M, Ahar S, Irani R. Content Analysis and Comparison of Iranian Journals in Motor Behavior and Sport Psychology Domains. Motor Behavior. 2019;11(37); 107-34.
- Danaeifard H, Emami M. Strategies of qualitative research: a reflection on grounded theory. Strategic Management Thought. 2007;1(2):69-97.
- Petty NJ, Thomson OP, Stew G. Ready for a paradigm shift? Part 2: Introducing qualitative research methodologies and methods. Manual therapy. 2012;17(5):378-84.
- Beheshti S, Rezayat G. Qualitative data analysis with NVivo10 software. Tehran: sokhan varan; 2016. P40-55 (In Persian).
- Rahavir, Shojaei M, Estiri Z, Naghizadeh H. The effect of two types of interference before performance and during performance on learning of generalized motor program and parameter in basketball funcamental skills. Development and Motor Learning (Harakat).2013; 12.
- Shahabi Kaseb M, Namazizadeh M, Vaeze Musavi MK. The effect of various practical conditions (the interaction of organization and distribution of practice), Individual Characteristics and task difficulty level on determination of the amount of practice (repetition, passage of time) for acquistion of fine motor skills. Research in Sport Management & Motor Behavior (Journal of Movement Science & Sports). 2012;2(10):3-1
- Gentile AM. Skill acquisition: action, movement, and neuromotor processes,” in Movement Science: Foundations For Physical Therapy Rehabilitation,J.CarrandR. Shepherd,Eds.,Aspen Publishers, Gaithersburg, Md, USA. 2000.
- Kantak SS, Winstein CJ. Learning–performance distinction and memory processes for motor skills: A focused review and perspective. Behavioural brain research. 2012;228(1):219-31.
- McMorris T. Acquisition and Performance of Sports Skills, 2nd Edition: Wiley; 2014.