Document Type : Research Paper
Department of Motor Behavior, Faculty of physical education and sport sciences, Allameh Tabataba’i University, Tehran, Iran
Assistant professor, Department of Motor Behavior, Faculty of physical education and sport sciences, Allameh Tabataba&#039;i University, Tehran, Iran
Considering the effect that aerobic exercise can have on cognitive function and memory, the challenge that remains in research is how to schedule timing of these exercises in relation to the acquisition sessions. This study is looking at the question of how aerobic exercise before, during and after acquisition affects the process of consolidating verbal memory. In a semi-experimental design, 48 non-athlete girls aged 20 to 30 years in four groups with different timing (Pre-training, during-training and post-training and control) performed a combination of Ray auditory verbal learning task and 15 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity. Then, all groups participated in the retention test of memory task one and 24 hours later. The results showed that there was no significant difference between the groups in the trend of changes in the acquisition stage. In addition, the groups performed the same in retention tests. The only difference was observed in the rate of performance decline in the first retention test relative to the end-of-acquisition session, according to which, the control and pre-training groups had a significant decline in performance. Accordingly, it seems that physical exercise during and after acquisition session can have short-term positive effects on verbal memory, although more research is needed to conclude about the effects of timing.
Key Words: Aerobic Exercise, Memory Consolidation, Training Timing, Auditory verbal learning, Acquisition
- Walker MP. A refined model of sleep and the time course of memory formation. Behavioral and brain sciences. 2005;28(1):51-64.
- Robertson EM. From creation to consolidation: a novel framework for memory processing. PLoS biology. 2009;7(1).
- Krakauer JW, Shadmehr R. Consolidation of motor memory. Trends in neurosciences. 2006;29(1):58-64.
- Mahmoodi A, Ghadiri F, Rashidi-pour A. Effects of Stress Related Acute Exercise on Reconsolidation of Implicit Motor Memory in Women. Journal of Arak University of Medical Sciences. 2018;21(4):66-76.
- Ferrer-Uris B, Busquets A, Angulo-Barroso R. Adaptation and retention of a perceptual-motor task in children: effects of a single bout of intense endurance exercise. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology. 2018;40(1):1-9.
- Jo J, Chen J, Riechman S, Roig M, Wright D. The protective effects of acute cardiovascular exercise on the interference of procedural memory. Psychological research. 2019;83(7):1543-55.
- Lundbye-Jensen J, Skriver K, Nielsen JB, Roig M. Acute exercise improves motor memory consolidation in preadolescent children. Frontiers in human neuroscience. 2017;11:182.
- Roig M, Skriver K, Lundbye-Jensen J, Kiens B, Nielsen JB. A single bout of exercise improves motor memory. PloS one. 2012;7(9).
- Skriver K, Roig M, Lundbye-Jensen J, Pingel J, Helge JW, Kiens B, et al. Acute exercise improves motor memory: exploring potential biomarkers. Neurobiology of learning and memory. 2014;116:46-58.
- Hillman CH, Erickson KI, Kramer AF. Be smart, exercise your heart: exercise effects on brain and cognition. Nature reviews neuroscience. 2008;9(1):58-65.
- Erickson KI, Voss MW, Prakash RS, Basak C, Szabo A, Chaddock L, et al. Exercise training increases size of hippocampus and improves memory. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2011;108(7):3017-22.
- Colcombe SJ, Erickson KI, Scalf PE, Kim JS, Prakash R, McAuley E, et al. Aerobic exercise training increases brain volume in aging humans. The Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences. 2006;61(11):1166-70.
- Pereira AC, Huddleston DE, Brickman AM, Sosunov AA, Hen R, McKhann GM, et al. An in vivo correlate of exercise-induced neurogenesis in the adult dentate gyrus. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2007;104(13):5638-43.
- Christiansen L, Thomas R, Beck MM, Pingel J, Andersen JD, Mang CS, et al. The beneficial effect of acute exercise on motor memory consolidation is modulated by dopaminergic gene profile. Journal of clinical medicine. 2019;8(5):578..
- Best JR. Effects of physical activity on children’s executive function: Contributions of experimental research on aerobic exercise. Developmental Review. 2010;30(4):331-51.
- Roig M, Thomas R, Mang CS, Snow NJ, Ostadan F, Boyd LA, et al. Time-dependent effects of cardiovascular exercise on memory. Exercise and sport sciences reviews. 2016;44(2):81-8.
- Mang CS, Snow NJ, Campbell KL, Ross CJ, Boyd LA. A single bout of high-intensity aerobic exercise facilitates response to paired associative stimulation and promotes sequence-specific implicit motor learning. Journal of applied physiology. 2014;117(11):1325-36.
- Snow NJ, Mang CS, Roig M, McDonnell MN, Campbell KL, Boyd LA. The effect of an acute bout of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise on motor learning of a continuous tracking task. PloS one. 2016;11(2).
- Statton MA, Encarnacion M, Celnik P, Bastian AJ. A single bout of moderate aerobic exercise improves motor skill acquisition. PloS one. 2015;10(10).
- Van Dongen EV, Kersten IH, Wagner IC, Morris RG, Fernández G. Physical exercise performed four hours after learning improves memory retention and increases hippocampal pattern similarity during retrieval. Current Biology. 2016;26(13):1722-7.
- Ward N, Paul E, Watson P, Cooke G, Hillman CH, Cohen N, et al. Enhanced learning through multimodal training: evidence from a comprehensive cognitive, physical fitness, and neuroscience intervention. Scientific reports. 2017;7(1):1-8.
- Labban JD, Etnier JL. Effects of acute exercise on long-term memory. Research quarterly for exercise and sport. 2011;82(4):712-21.
- Law LL, Barnett F, Yau MK, Gray MA. Effects of combined cognitive and exercise interventions on cognition in older adults with and without cognitive impairment: a systematic review. Ageing research reviews. 2014;15:61-75.
- Nepveu J-F, Thiel A, Tang A, Fung J, Lundbye-Jensen J, Boyd LA, et al. A single bout of high-intensity interval training improves motor skill retention in individuals with stroke. Neurorehabilitation and neural repair. 2017;31(8):726-35.
- Loprinzi PD, Blough J, Crawford L, Ryu S, Zou L, Li H. The Temporal Effects of Acute Exercise on Episodic Memory Function: Systematic Review with Meta-Analysis. Brain sciences. 2019;9(4).
- Loprinzi PD, Loenneke JP, Storm BC. Effects of acute aerobic and resistance exercise on episodic memory function. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology. 2021:1747021821994576.
- Loprinzi PD, Crawford L, Moore D, Blough J, Burnett G, Chism M, et al. Motor behavior-induced prefrontal cortex activation and episodic memory function. International Journal of Neuroscience. 2020:1-21.
- Haynes IV JT, Frith E, Sng E, Loprinzi PD. Experimental effects of acute exercise on episodic memory function: considerations for the timing of exercise. Psychological reports. 2019;122(5):1744-54.
- Etnier JL, Salazar W, Landers DM, Petruzzello SJ, Han M, Nowell P. The influence of physical fitness and exercise upon cognitive functioning: A meta-analysis. Journal of sport and Exercise Psychology. 1997;19(3):249-77.
- Lambourne K, Tomporowski P. The effect of exercise-induced arousal on cognitive task performance: a meta-regression analysis. Brain research. 2010;1341:12-24.
- McNerney MW, Radvansky GA. Mind racing: The influence of exercise on long-term memory consolidation. Memory. 2015;23(8):1140-51.
- Britt DM, Adams Jr SG, Godding PR, Grothues CA, Varnado P. Clinical differentiation of the Rey Auditory-Verbal Learning Test. American Journal of Alzheimer's Disease. 1995;10(6):718.
- Zahra Jafari, Philp Steffen Moritz, Taher Zandi, Ahmad Ali Akbari Kamrani, Saied Malayeri. Iranian version of the Rey Auditory Verbal Learning Test: a validation study. Health Monitor Journal of the Iranian Institute for Health Sciences Researc. 2010; 9(3):307-16.
- Roig M, Nordbrandt S, Geertsen SS, Nielsen JB. The effects of cardiovascular exercise on human memory: a review with meta-analysis. Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews. 2013;37(8):1645-66.
- Thomas R, Flindtgaard M, Skriver K, Geertsen SS, Christiansen L, Korsgaard Johnsen L, et al. Acute exercise and motor memory consolidation: Does exercise type play a role? Scandinavian journal of medicine & science in sports. 2017;27(11):1523-32.
- Coles K, Tomporowski PD. Effects of acute exercise on executive processing, short-term and long-term memory. Journal of sports sciences. 2008;26(3):333-44.
- Moncada D, Ballarini F, Martinez MC, Frey JU, Viola H. Identification of transmitter systems and learning tag molecules involved in behavioral tagging during memory formation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2011;108(31):12931-6.