Document Type : Research Paper
phd studant in clinical sport psychology from tehran university
Assistant Professor, Department of Motor Behavior and Sports Psychology, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Department of Psychology, Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Recognition of important psychological factors in coping with difficulty is considered as an important factor in the development of positive interventions to achieve sports self-fulfillment. Self-sufficiency and cognitive regulation of emotion are important factors that are effective in coping with unpleasant events. In a difficult event such as failure in sports is not considered. Therefore The purpose of this study was to model the structural equation of relationship between self -compassion and emotional reactions to failure as mediated by cognitive emotion regulation among martial arts. A total of 286 athlete (191 men and 95 women; age: 20.98±3.30 years) from different disciplines of martial arts (taekwondo, karate, Judo and wushu) engaged in league championship participated in the study. Athlete completed self-report measures of self-compassion (SCS), negative affect (PANAS), and cognitive emotion regulation (CERQ). The proposed model was evaluated using structural equation model. Result revealed that self-compassion has direct and indirect effects on emotional reactions to failure. Furthermore, cognitive emotion regulation a partial negative mediator between the self-compassion and emotional reactions to failure. This study indicates that self-compassion is a relevant construct for understanding athletes’emotional responses to failure problems and cognitive emotion regulation strategies are involved as underlying mechanisms in this process. Therefore, it suggests paying attention to growth of self-compassion in martial arts and emphasizing on improving adaptive emotion regulation and reducing incompatible emotion regulation in order to recover better from failure and reduce its negative effects.
- Fletcher D, Sarkar M. A grounded theory of psychological resilience in Olympic champions. Psychology of sport and exercise. 2012 Sep 1;13(5):669-78.
- Davis H, van Anders SM, Ngan ET, Woodward TS, Van Snellenberg JX, Mayberg HS, Liotti M. Neural, mood, and endocrine responses in elite athletes relative to successful and failed performance videos. Journal of Clinical Sport Psychology. 2012 Mar 1;6(1):6-21.
- Ceccarelli L, Giuliano RJ, Glazebrook C, Strachan S. Self-compassion and psycho-physiological recovery from recalled sport failure. Frontiers in psychology. 2019;10:1564.
- Wagstaff CR. Emotion regulation and sport performance. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology. 2014 Aug 1;36(4):401-12.
- Lizmore MR, Dunn JG, Dunn JC, Hill AP. Perfectionism and performance following failure in a competitive golf-putting task. Psychology of Sport and Exercise. 2019 Nov 1;45:101582.
- Howells K, Wadey R, Roy-Davis K, Evans L. A systematic review of interventions to promote growth following adversity. Psychology of Sport and Exercise. 2020 Feb 20:101671.
- Lane AM, Devonport TJ, Stanley D, Beedie CJ. The effects of brief online self-help intervention strategies on emotions and satisfaction with running performance. Sensoria: A Journal of Mind, Brain & Culture. 2016 Jul 1;12(2).
- Mosewich AD, Crocker PR, Sabiston CM, Kowalski KC, Gaudreau P. Self-Compassion in the Stress Process in Women Athletes. Sport Psychologist. 2019 Mar 1;33(1).
- Mosewich AD, Crocker PR, Kowalski KC, DeLongis A. Applying self-compassion in sport: An intervention with women athletes. Journal of sport and exercise psychology. 2013 Oct 1;35(5):514-24.
- Ferguson LJ, Kowalski KC, Mack DE, Sabiston CM. Exploring self-compassion and eudaimonic well-being in young women athletes. Journal of sport and exercise psychology. 2014 Apr 1;36(2):203-16.
- Mohebi M, Zarei S, Gharayagh, Z. G. The Relationship between Self-Compassion and Fear of Failure among Successful and less Successful Adolescent Girls Taekwondo Athletes, Journal of Sport Psychology, 1(1), 2020, 13-26.
- Lizmore MR, Dunn JG, Dunn JC. Perfectionistic strivings, perfectionistic concerns, and reactions to poor personal performances among intercollegiate athletes. Psychology of Sport and Exercise. 2017 Nov 1;33:75-84.
- Neff K. Self-compassion: An alternative conceptualization of a healthy attitude toward oneself. Self and identity. 2003 Apr 1;2(2):85-101.
- Reis NA, Kowalski KC, Ferguson LJ, Sabiston CM, Sedgwick WA, Crocker PR. Self-compassion and women athletes' responses to emotionally difficult sport situations: An evaluation of a brief induction. Psychology of Sport and Exercise. 2015 Mar 1;16:18-25.
- Semenchuk BN, Strachan SM, Fortier M. Self-compassion and the self-regulation of exercise: Reactions to recalled exercise setbacks. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology. 2018 Feb 1;40(1):31-9.
- Bakker AM, Cox DW, Hubley AM, Owens RL. Emotion regulation as a mediator of self-compassion and depressive symptoms in recurrent depression. Mindfulness. 2019 Jun 15;10(6):1169-80.
- Finlay-Jones AL, Rees CS, Kane RT. Self-compassion, emotion regulation and stress among Australian psychologists: Testing an emotion regulation model of self-compassion using structural equation modeling. PloS one. 2015 Jul 24;10(7):e0133481.
- Gross JJ. Emotion regulation: Current status and future prospects. Psychological inquiry. 2015 Jan 2;26(1):1-26.
- Garnefski N, Kraaij V. Cognitive emotion regulation questionnaire–development of a short 18-item version (CERQ-short). Personality and individual differences. 2006 Oct 1;41(6):1045-53.
- Aldao A, Tull MT. Putting emotion regulation in context. Current Opinion in Psychology. 2015 Jun 1;3:100-7.
- Neff KD, Dahm KA. Self-compassion: What it is, what it does, and how it relates to mindfulness. InHandbook of mindfulness and self-regulation 2015 (pp. 121-137). Springer, New York, NY.
- Fresnics A, Borders A. Angry rumination mediates the unique associations between self-compassion and anger and aggression. Mindfulness. 2017 Jun 1;8(3):554-64.
- McRae K. Cognitive emotion regulation: A review of theory and scientific findings. Current Opinion in Behavioral Sciences. 2016 Aug 1;10:119-24.
- Josefsson T, Ivarsson A, Gustafsson H, Stenling A, Lindwall M, Tornberg R, Böröy J. Effects of mindfulness-acceptance-commitment (MAC) on sport-specific dispositional mindfulness, emotion regulation, and self-rated athletic performance in a multiple-sport population: an RCT study. Mindfulness. 2019 Aug 15;10(8):1518-29.
- Josefsson T, Ivarsson A, Lindwall M, Gustafsson H, Stenling A, Böröy J, Mattsson E, Carnebratt J, Sevholt S, Falkevik E. Mindfulness mechanisms in sports: mediating effects of rumination and emotion regulation on sport-specific coping. Mindfulness. 2017 Oct 1;8(5):1354-63.
- Leary MR, Tate EB, Adams CE, Batts Allen A, Hancock J. Self-compassion and reactions to unpleasant self-relevant events: the implications of treating oneself kindly. Journal of personality and social psychology. 2007 May;92(5):887.
- Zhang JW, Chen S. Self-compassion promotes personal improvement from regret experiences via acceptance. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. 2016 Feb;42(2):244-58.
- Yang Q, Gu R, Tang P, Luo YJ. How does cognitive reappraisal affect the response to gains and losses?. Psychophysiology. 2013 Nov;50(11):1094-103.
- Troy AS, Shallcross AJ, Brunner A, Friedman R, Jones MC. Cognitive reappraisal and acceptance: Effects on emotion, physiology, and perceived cognitive costs. Emotion. 2018 Feb;18 (1):58.
- Diamantopoulos A, Siguaw JA, Siguaw JA. Introducing LISREL: A guide for the uninitiated. Sage; 2000 Sep 22.
- Khanjani S, Foroughi AA, Sadghi K, Bahrainian SA. Psychometric properties of Iranian version of self-compassion scale (short form). Pajoohandeh Journal. 2016 Dec 10;21(5):282-9.
- Bakhshipour , Dejkam M.Confirmatory factor analysis of positive and negative emotion scales. Journal of Psychology. 2005 36 (4): 351-367.
- Shokri O, Goodarzi A, Sharifi M. Testing for factorial invariance of the Farsi version of the Positive and Negative Affect Schedule across sexes. Contemporary Psychology, Biannual Journal of the Iranian Psychological Association. 2014 Aug 1;9(1):83-94.
- Besharat MA, Bazzazian S. Psychometric properties of the Cognitive Emotion Regulation Questionnaire in a sample of Iranian population. Journal of Shahid Beheshti School of Nursing & Midwifery. 2014;24(84):61-70.
- Martin-Krumm CP, Sarrazin PG, Peterson C, Famose JP. Explanatory style and resilience after sports failure. Personality and individual differences. 2003 Nov 1;35(7):1685-95.
- Litwin R, Goldbacher EM, Cardaciotto L, Gambrel LE. Negative emotions and emotional eating: the mediating role of experiential avoidance. Eating and Weight Disorders-Studies on Anorexia, Bulimia and Obesity. 2017 Mar 1;22(1):97-104.
- Alipour Ataabadi Y. The Associations Among Self-compassion, Self-esteem, Self-criticism, and Concern Over Mistakes in Response to Biomechanical Feedback in Athletes (Doctoral dissertation, University of Saskatchewan).
- Kirby JN. Compassion interventions: The programmes, the evidence, and implications for research and practice. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice. 2017 Sep;90 (3):432-55.
- Mosewich AD, Ferguson LJ, McHugh TL, Kowalski KC. Enhancing capacity: Integrating self-compassion in sport. Journal of Sport Psychology in Action. 2019 Oct 2;10(4):235-43.
- Mohebi M, Zarei S. The Relationship between Mental Toughness and Self-Compassion in Elite and non- Elite Adolescent Taekwondo Athletes, Journal of Motor and Behavioral Sciences, 2(1), 2019, 21-31.