Document Type : Research Paper
Master of Sport sciences, Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Sport Sciences, Qazvin, Iran
Associate Professor, Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Sport Sciences, Qazvin, Iran
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of a course of aerobic exercise and vitamin D supplementation on the psychomotor function of elderly women with sleep disorders. Based on this, 42 people were selected in an accessible and targeted manner with an age range of 60-70 years. They all suffered from insomnia. Subjects were randomly divided into four groups: aerobic exercise, aerobic exercise-vitamin D supplement, vitamin D supplement and control group. Vitamin D intake in both groups was taken as 2000 units daily. The Physical Activity Readiness Diagnostic Questionnaire (PARQ) was used to know the level of physical fitness of the subjects and the Gibson 24-hour diet recall questionnaire the day before the pre-test and post-test. The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Scale was used to extract the sleep profile. COG psychomotor test was also used to assess cognitive and mental components and information processing. The results showed that the aerobic, supplement and aerobic-supplement groups had a significant improvement in selective attention and reaction time. Also, the aerobic-supplement group had a significant improvement in selective attention and reaction time compared to the aerobic group and the supplement group. Aerobic exercise along with vitamin D supplementation seems to improve the motor and motor function of older women. Therefore, vitamin D supplementation and aerobic exercise in interaction are recommended for older women.
- Addae-Dapaah K, Juan QS. Life satisfaction among elderly households in public rental housing in Singapore. Health. 2014;6:1057-76.
- Cotroneo A, Gareri P, Lacava R, Cabodi S. Use of zolpidem in over 75-year-old patients with sleep disorders and comorbidities. Archives of gerontology and geriatrics Supplement. 2004(9):93-6.
- Gominak S, Stumpf W. The world epidemic of sleep disorders is linked to vitamin D deficiency. Medical hypotheses. 2012;79(2):132-5.
- Cassilhas R, Lee K, Fernandes J, Oliveira M, Tufik S, Meeusen R, et al. Spatial memory is improved by aerobic and resistance exercise through divergent molecular mechanisms. Neuroscience. 2012;202:309-17.
- Taheri M, Irandoust K. The exercise-induced weight loss improves self-reported quality of sleep in obese elderly women with sleep disorders. Sleep and Hypnosis doi. 2017;10.
- Irandoust K, Taheri M. The effect of strength training on quality of sleep and psychomotor performance in elderly males. Sleep and Hypnosis (Online). 2018;20(3):160-5.
- Amini M, Mirmoezzi M, Salmanpour M, Khorshidi D. Eight Weeks of Aerobic Exercises Improves the Quality of Life in Healthy Aged Sedentary Men. Int J Sport Stud Hlth. 2018;1(1):e67514.
- Monleon C, Hemmati Afif A, Mahdavi S, Rezaei M. The Acute Effect of Low Intensity Aerobic Exercise on Psychomotor Performance of Athletes with Nocturnal Sleep Deprivation. Int J Sport Stud Hlth. 2018;1(1):e66783.
- Chen LJ, Fox KR, Ku PW, Chang YW. Effects of Aquatic Exercise on Sleep in Older Adults with Mild Sleep Impairment: a Randomized Controlled Trial. International journal of behavioral medicine. 2016;23(4):501-6.
- Spiegel K, Knutson K, Leproult R, Tasali E, Van Cauter E. Sleep loss: a novel risk factor for insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes. Journal of applied physiology. 2005;99(5):2008-
- Hall MH, Muldoon MF, Jennings JR, Buysse DJ, Flory JD, Manuck SB. Self-reported sleep duration is associated with the metabolic syndrome in midlife adults. Sleep. 2008;31(5):635-43.
- Morin CM, Hauri PJ, Espie CA, Spielman AJ, Buysse DJ, Bootzin RR. Nonpharmacologic treatment of chronic insomnia. Sleep. 1999;22(8):1134-56.
- Irandoust K, Taheri M. The Effect of Strength Training on Quality of Sleep and Psychomotor Performance in Elderly Males.
- Taffett GE. Physiology of aging. Geriatric Medicine: Springer; 2003. p. 27-35.
- Briançon-Marjollet A, Weiszenstein M, Henri M, Thomas A, Godin-Ribuot D, Polak J. The impact of sleep disorders on glucose metabolism: endocrine and molecular mechanisms. Diabetology & metabolic syndrome. 2015;7(1):25.
- Thomas S, Reading J, Shephard RJ. Revision of the physical activity readiness questionnaire (PAR-Q). Canadian journal of sport sciences. 1992.
- Petru R, Wittmann M, Nowak D, Birkholz B, Angerer P. Effects of working permanent night shifts and two shifts on cognitive and psychomotor performance. International archives of occupational and environmental health. 2005;78(2):109-16.
- Shmygalev S, Dagtekin O, Gerbershagen HJ, Marcus H, Jübner M, Sabatowski R, et al. Assessing cognitive and psychomotor performance in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome. Pain and therapy. 2014;3(2):85-101.
- Dagtekin O, Gerbershagen HJ, Wagner W, Petzke F, Radbruch L, Sabatowski R. Assessing cognitive and psychomotor performance under long-term treatment with transdermal buprenorphine in chronic noncancer pain patients. Anesthesia & Analgesia. 2007;105(5):1442-8.
- Fontani G, Lodi L, Migliorini S, Corradeschi F. Effect of omega-3 and policosanol supplementation on attention and reactivity in athletes. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 2009;28 Suppl:473s-81s.
- Antypa N, Van der Does AJ, Smelt AH, Rogers RD. Omega-3 fatty acids (fish-oil) and depression-related cognition in healthy volunteers. Journal of psychopharmacology (Oxford, England). 2009;23(7):831-40.
- Seghatoleslami A, Afif AH, Irandoust K, Taheri M. The impact of pilates exercises on motor control of inactive middle-aged women. Sleep and Hypnosis (Online). 2018;20(4):262-
- Lehrer P, Eddie D. Dynamic Processes in Regulation and Some Implications for Biofeedback and Biobehavioral Interventions. Applied psychophysiology and biofeedback. 2013;38(2):143-55.
- Ahlskog JE, Geda YE, Graff-Radford NR, Petersen RC, editors. Physical exercise as a preventive or disease-modifying treatment of dementia and brain aging. Mayo Clinic Proceedings; 2011: Elsevier.
- Leslie MA, Cohen DJ, Liddle DM, Robinson LE, Ma DW. A review of the effect of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on blood triacylglycerol levels in normolipidemic and borderline hyperlipidemic individuals. Lipids in health and disease. 2015;14:53
- Strand LB, Laugsand LE, Wisloff U, Nes BM, Vatten L, Janszky I. Insomnia symptoms and cardiorespiratory fitness in healthy individuals: the Nord-Trondelag Health Study (HUNT). Sleep. 2013;36(1):99-108.
- Dollander M. [Etiology of adult insomnia]. L'Encephale. 2002;28(6 Pt 1):493-502.
- Haario P, Rahkonen O, Laaksonen M, Lahelma E, Lallukka T. Bidirectional associations between insomnia symptoms and unhealthy behaviours. Journal of sleep research. 2013;22(1):89-95.